August 2, 2021
On Sunday, July 11, Cuba experienced an unprecedented social outbreak in 60 years of Castroism. Thousands of citizens took to the streets of many cities, fed up with material shortages and demanding Freedom and the end of the communist dictatorship.
The day ended with hundreds of arrests and clashes after President Miguel Díaz-Canel ordered his supporters to come out to confront the protesters.
Some images of hundreds of people marching amid cries of “down with the dictatorship” and “homeland and life” through the streets of the town of San Antonio de los Baños, in Artemisa (west), lit the fuse on social networks and gave began calls to protest throughout Cuba.
Cuban President Díaz-Canel urged his supporters to take to the streets ready for “combat” in response to the protests. “The order of combat is given, the revolutionaries take to the streets,” said the president in a special television appearance.
The organization Amnesty International (AI) reported that there is a strong military presence in the streets and that the protests that continued during the night have been repressed by the police, with reports of injuries, threats and arbitrary arrests.
In recent days, the dictatorship has murdered young people in the street, beaten protesters, detained and disappeared hundreds of Cubans who remain incommunicado.
Therefore, we ask the European Parliament and the governments of the EU to:
- Suspend the Political Dialogue and Cooperation Agreement between the EU-Cuba.
- Apply the Global Sanctions Regime to President Miguel Diaz-Canel, to the members of the Communist Party of Cuba, the Council of Ministers, the National Assembly of People’s Power, the Revolutionary Armed Forces (FAR) and the Ministry of the Interior (MININT) as the United States government has done it recently.
- Our solidarity with the Cuban people
- Rejection for the arrest of the opposition politician Cristiana Chamorro.
- Europa debe ponerse del lado del pueblo cubano y no de la dictadura.
- Our Foundation makes an alert call for life Luis Manuel Otero Alacantara.
- Firma el acuerdo ahora / Sign the agreement now.